An abscessed tooth is a bacterial infection that causes a pocket of pus to grow in various tooth regions. It’s also known as a dental abscess. A dental abscess causes moderate to severe pain, sometimes radiating to your ear or neck. If you feel you have a dental abscess, book an appointment with your dentist as soon as possible. The infection will worsen if you don’t seek treatment quickly.
Dental abscess symptoms typically include one or more of the following:
- A toothache can quickly become excruciating.
- Gum swelling, which can be unpleasant.
- The face swells up. The skin around an abscess might become irritated and red.
- Touching the damaged tooth may cause it to become tender and loose.
- Feeling sick and having a high temperature (fever).
- There may be spasms of the jaw muscles in severe cases.
A dental abscess is caused by the bacterium entering your teeth or gums. However, how this occurs is usually determined by the three most prevalent forms of spots:
- An abscess at the tip of a tooth’s root is known as a periapical abscess. Bacteria usually enter the pulp of your teeth through a cavity.
- An abscess on the gum close to the root of a tooth is known as a periodontal abscess. It has the potential to spread to adjacent tissue and bone. This type is primarily caused by gum disease; however, an injury can also cause it.
- An abscess on the gums is known as a gingival abscess. A foreign body gets lodged in your gums, such as a popcorn husk or a toothbrush bristle.
Abscess tooth treatment aims to get rid of the infection and relieve suffering. Your dentist may begin with a dental X-ray, depending on your symptoms. This will allow them to see if the infection has spread to nearby teeth. Your dentist may choose one of the following procedures: draining, root canal, extraction, or antibiotics.
Before you can visit a dentist, rinsing your mouth with warm salt water may help. You must contact your dentist immediately after seeing symptoms of dental abscess.
If you are looking for the best dental office in Scarborough, Dr. Salim Kapadia Dental Centre has won the Scarborough Mirror’s Best Dental Office award. Our patients are from all over the Greater Toronto Area. Call us or click here to book an appointment online: https://drsalimkapadiadental.com/online-appointments/