Do you know those little, painful sores in your mouth that make eating and talking uncomfortable? Those are mouth ulcers, and we know they’re no fun. In this article, we’ll talk about what mouth ulcers are, why they happen, and how to make them go away. We’ll also tell you how to stop them from coming back.
What Are Mouth Ulcers?
Mouth ulcers are small sores that form inside your mouth. They can show up on your tongue, inside your cheeks, or even on your gums. They’re usually round and have a white or yellow center.
What Causes Mouth Ulcers?
There can be many reasons why you get a mouth ulcer. It might be stress, accidentally biting your cheek, or eating super spicy food. Sometimes, it’s hard to know why they show up.
How to Prevent Mouth Ulcers
- Good Oral Hygiene: Brush and floss your teeth every day. This keeps your mouth clean and might stop ulcers from forming.
- Be Careful: Try not to bite your cheek or lip. Be mindful when you eat.
- Eat Right: Eating foods rich in vitamins and minerals like fruits and vegetables can make your mouth healthier.
- Manage Stress: Stress can cause ulcers. Try deep breathing, exercise, or talking to someone to feel better.
How to Treat Mouth Ulcers
- Over-the-Counter Medicine: You can buy special creams and gels at the drugstore that will help your ulcer heal faster.
- Saltwater Rinse: Mix a teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water and swish it around in your mouth. This will help clean the ulcer.
- Avoid Spicy Foods: Stay away from hot and spicy foods that could make the ulcer hurt more.
- Cold Compress: Put a cold spoon or ice cube on the ulcer for a few minutes to ease the pain.
When to See a Dentist
If you have a mouth ulcer that doesn’t go away after two weeks, it’s a good idea to see a dentist. They can make sure it’s not something serious.
Mouth ulcers are annoying, but they are treatable. Taking good care of your mouth and managing stress can help prevent them. Remember, if an ulcer sticks around for too long, it’s smart to visit a dentist. Dr. Salim Kapadia Dental Centre, winner of multiple Best Dental Office in Scarborough Awards, serves clients from all across Toronto and are here to help you with all your oral health needs. Book your appointment: https://drsalimkapadiadental.com/online-appointments/