You remain relaxed during dental operations thanks to sedation dentistry. It helps those receiving extensive treatment or those who have dental anxiety. Some types of sedation dentistry require the dentist to hold a particular certification.
The levels of sedation usually include:
- Minimal sedation: you are awake but relaxed.
- Moderate sedation (formerly called “conscious sedation”): may cause you to stutter when speaking and cause you to forget some of the treatment.
- Deep sedation: you are on the verge of consciousness but can still be awakened.
- General anesthesia: you are entirely unconscious.
Sedation dentistry is helpful for patients of all ages, including children. Dentists often recommend this option for those with:
- Dental anxiety.
- A fear of visiting the dentist.
- Extreme sensitivity in the gag reflex.
- A fear of needles (aichmophobia).
- Extremely sensitive teeth.
- Claustrophobia while seated in the dental chair.
- Decreased sensitivity to local anesthesia.
- Difficulty controlling movements.
- Special needs (including physical, cognitive or behavioural).
When administered by qualified dentists, sedation dentistry is usually safe. However, some people should consult their doctor before receiving sedation, such as those who are obese, pregnant, or have obstructive sleep apnea. That’s because they have a higher risk of anesthesia-related problems. Before the procedure, let your dentist know whether you’ve ever experienced a severe medical condition or are currently taking any prescription medication.
Your recovery depends on the type of sedation used and how your body reacts to it. People who use nitrous oxide typically feel better within 15 to 30 minutes and can go home on their own after their appointment. Oral conscious sedation or intravenous sedation requires about 24 hours for complete recovery. Talk to your dentist to get an accurate recovery time.
If you are looking for general, cosmetic or emergency dental procedures in a safe and comfortable setting, visit Scarborough’s Dr. Salim Kapadia Dental Centre. They have excellent customer ratings and have won the Best Dental Office in Scarborough award two years in a row. Book an appointment online: https://drsalimkapadiadental.com/online-appointments/